Welcome to the APHA Genomics Forum
This website is under development to support the work of the members of the Genomics Forum, a component of the American Public Health Association (APHA).
New? Click here to Join the Forum
* * * * *
* * * ANNOUNCEMENTS * * *
Call for Abstracts - CLOSED
APHA 2009 - November 7-11, 2009 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The Genomics Forum invites abstracts related to the 2009 conference theme, "Water and Public Health: the 21st Century Challenge" as well as to areas of special interest to public health practitioners and researchers interested in the field of genomics. We are especially interested in studies that may inform future research, identify public health priorities, and describe the impact of existing genomics policies and practice on public health. Abstracts on various aspects of the ethical, legal, and social issues of genomics are also encouraged.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Public health genomics in the developing world (e.g., infectious diseases, environmental exposures, data use, informed consent, etc.) Environmental health (e.g., susceptible populations, pharmaceuticals in water, water-borne toxins, infectious agents, or diseases, and genetic variation and environmental exposure interactions, etc.)Genomics and health disparities
- Public education and social justice / advocacy
- Communicating genetic and genomic risks to the public (e.g., public health professional competency, public awareness, genetic literacy, etc.)
- Translational research in genomics and public health education (e.g.,, screening services for communities, behavioral responses to genomic information, etc.)
- Genetic and molecular epidemiology (e.g., disease susceptibility, gene-environment interactions, family history, etc.)
- Public health response to personalized medicine and pharmaceuticals (e.g., progress and benefits of, direct-to-consumer testing, etc.)
- Genomics and the use of electronic health records (e.g., family history and genetic data, etc.)
- Novel applications of genomics to create partnerships and collaboration in public health
The Genomics Forum encourages abstract submissions from students and those who have never presented at an APHA annual meeting, especially community-based organizations.
To submit an abstract or for additional information, visit the Genomics Forum's Call for Abstracts on the APHA website.
APHA 136th Annual Meeting in San Diego, California
Public Health without Borders
October 25-29, 2008
- Please join us for the Genomics Forum Annual Business Meeting on Sunday, October 26, 2008, 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. at the San Diego Manchester Grand Hyatt, Manchester Ballroom F. Breakfast will be available beginning at 7:30 a.m.
- We have a full agenda that includes hearing from our award winning abstracts and a guest speaker Joseph Telfair, DrPH, MSW-MPH, member of the Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Genetics, Health, and Society, who will speak about the Genetics Education and Training Task Force's Public Health Providers' working group.
- We will have a table available for you to distribute materials about your organization at the business meeting. If you are unable to attend in-person, but would like us to have materials laid out for you, please send them to me electronically by next Wednesday, October 22.
- Introductory PowerPoint: Click Here
- Small Group Discussion Agenda: Click Here
For more information about this project, contact:
Life Sciences & Society Program
University of Michigan School of Public Health
email@example.com (734) 647-4571